Sara Lee Corporation is a global manufacturer and marketer of high-quality, brand-named food and beverage products. This policy pertains to all activities of Sara Lee Corporation that consume energy and emit greenhouse gases.
Energy use and greenhouse gas emissions occur during each step of the life cycle of our products from raw material to end-use. Because energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions can affect climate change, we are committed to minimize energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions during the manufacture of our products and to work with partners, suppliers, customers, consumers and stakeholders to help minimize their energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions related to our products.
- Measure the energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions from our direct operations (GHG Protocol scope 1 and 2);
- Set energy use and greenhouse gas emissions goals for our direct operations and, where possible and relevant, associated indirect aspects (GHG Protocol scope 3);
- Reduce energy use and emission of greenhouse gases and their precursors by a combination of improved energy efficiency, technology change and the use of biofuels, biomass and other renewable energy;
- Consider energy usage and greenhouse gases in our decision-making processes for deployment of capital and new product planning;
- Engage our employees in a company-wide culture of responsible energy management;
- Work to help minimize energy and greenhouse gas emissions throughout the lifecycle of our products by engaging with partners, suppliers, customers, consumers and stakeholders;
- Consider adoption of carbon offset programs only when we are explicitly required to do so, and only when reliable certification standards and/or strict quality assurance schemes are available; and
- Understand the impact of energy and greenhouse gas trends and the risks they may pose on our business and the wider community.
Energy Use & Greenhouse Gas Emission Performance
The average energy consumption for our manufacturing operations between 2005 and 2009 was 3.48 gigajoules used per metric ton of production, across all product lines. Since setting goals in 2009 to reduce our energy consumption, we achieved our lowest level of energy use, 3.37 gigajoules per metric ton of product produced, in 2010.
The source of energy consumed by our manufacturing facilities is approximately one-third purchased electricity and two-thirds fossil fuels. Renewable energy sources contributed 3 percent of our total energy consumption in 2010, versus 1 percent in 2005.
The chart of our greenhouse gas emissions covers 100 percent of Sara Lee owned production facilities for 2005 through 2010. Since 2007, we have increased the number of facilities captured in our annual report of carbon dioxide emissions submitted to the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), including offices and distribution facilities. Our CO2 intensity since 2005 has been relatively unchanged, hovering around 0.30 to 0.32 metric tons of CO2 emitted per metric ton of product produced.